Washington Monument Restored by Lewis Contractors Lit for the Fiftieth Time to Celebrate the Holidays in Baltimore
Later this evening, for the fiftieth year, Mount Vernon Place will once again become a beacon of light celebrating the holidays in Baltimore, as Baltimore’s Washington Monument is lit up in holiday splendor. Lewis Contractors has been an integral part of this celebration for six years, after completing the restoration of the historic Washington Monument from which hundreds of lights are hung to illuminate the monument and surrounding gardens which make up Mount Vernon Place.
The Washington Monument was completed in 1815, stands some eighteen stories above the traffic circle and is the first architectural monument in the United States erected to honor America’s first President. The stone for the monument’s structure and the statue of Washington was quarried in Cockeysville. President Washington faces south, gazing directly at the City of Annapolis, and he holds in his hand a letter of resignation as leader of the Continental Army, a watershed moment in the history of democracy.
“We are honored to continue to serve the Conservancy in this way, so many years after the completion of our original restoration,” said Tyler Tate, President of Lewis Contractors. “It is a privilege to do our part in carrying on this important tradition in our home town.”
The monument was fully restored by Lewis Contractors in time for the monument’s bicentennial anniversary celebration. Both local and national awards for excellence in construction honored this exceptional historic restoration project, and Lewis considers it to be a landmark project in its more than half century portfolio of work.