Lewis Contractors has an unsurpassed reputation for excellence in institutional construction and historic preservation.
We have an impressive portfolio of award-winning projects for the most prominent owners and architects in the Baltimore/Washington area. Our expertise is as broad as it is deep, with our portfolio ranging from public and private educational work—spanning from lower schools to graduate research facilities—to healthcare and hospital construction, manufacturing lines, laboratory cleanrooms and places of worship.
Our restoration work stands the test of time, with signature projects including the restoration of The Baltimore Basilica of the Assumption (America’s first Roman Catholic cathedral) and the restoration of the roof at Thomas Jefferson’s home at Monticello.
What else distinguishes us?
- We are family-owned and operated.
- We are a responsive, mid-sized firm that gives all the services of a large construction management firm. We offer the same menu of services, with the same range of resources—all backed by our reputation for exemplary service and performance.
- We are not a national firm. We live in Maryland, we work in Maryland and we are fully invested in our Maryland communities.
- We have strong relationships with all sectors of the industry. Through integrity of action, we have forged strong, repeat relationships with owners, owners’ representatives, designers, subcontractors and suppliers throughout Maryland. Craftsmen throughout the state are familiar with our excellent reputation, and they are eager to do their best work for us.
- Our project managers have long tenures. As a firm, we have a wealth of institutional knowledge. Our project managers each have, on average, 15 or more years of experience in the building trades managing projects.
- Company-wide average tenure is 15 years for our nearly 60 associates.
- All of our project managers are estimators in their own right. They typically estimate their own projects and manage each project from preconstruction through construction, until the close of the project, lending continuity to a project and providing an owner with one point of contact throughout project delivery.
- Our project superintendents and field personnel are craftsmen who have been exposed to a variety of projects and conditions. They know how to solve problems quickly and effectively.
- Our self-performance capability provides greater flexibility in the completion of building forensic examination, select demolition, rough and finish carpentry, concrete work, installation of miscellaneous items, specialty work and general conditions labor. We regularly leverage our relationships with sister companies Stewart & Tate, Inc. and Riley Welding & Fabricating, opening the door to self-performance capabilities in the fields of sitework, rigging, millwrighting, large and complex concrete foundations, and custom and specialty metal fabrication.
- The majority of our portfolio is repeat business. We are often called upon to expand on our projects and take them into the next stage or phase of the owner’s vision. Lewis approaches every project as a relationship to be nurtured and returned to as our services are needed. And because of our workforce’s extraordinary length of service, we are often able to assign the same people who were originally attached to the project. Repeat clients include the Archdiocese of Baltimore, the Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland—Baltimore, McDaniel College, Towson University, Howard Community College, the Johns Hopkins Health System, Lifebridge Health, Sheppard Pratt Health Systems, the Gilman School, Friends School of Baltimore, the Beth Tfiloh Congregation and Schools, the Boys Latin School and many others.
- We are on the forefront of the new technologies that are revolutionizing construction. These technologies include Building Information Modeling (BIM)–a series of innovative 3D visualization programs that identify and help circumvent potential problems early in the construction process, as well as the extensive use of Mobile Management Software in the field. On many of its projects, Lewis employs digital tablets such as iPads, each equipped with specialized, cloud-based software that permits users to access document libraries, conduct QA/QC, safety, and commissioning checklists, and monitor and track issues or questions that may arise in the field. Together, these technologies provide real and tangible benefits, dramatically improving communication among project stakeholders, enhancing overall coordination and project management and streamlining the construction processes.
55 Gwynns Mill Court
Owings Mills, MD, 21117